African Beans and Plantains
- 23 Jun, 2020
- Organic cowpeas, soaked overnight and rinsed - 400g
- Water - 1.125 ml
- Palm oil - 200ml
- Organic onion - 1
- Dried fish flakes - 3 tbsp
- Organic chilli - 1 big
- Organic ash plantain, peeled and cut into discs - 1
- Maggie cube - 1
- Organic spinach - large handful
- Salt - to taste
- Put beans and water in a pot and bring to the boil. Skim off the layer of foam, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Mix in the palm oil, onion, fish flakes and scotch bonnet chilli and let simmer for about 1.5 hr or until the beans are done to your taste.
- About 15 mins before the beans are ready stir in the maggi cube and plantain, cover the pot and cook till the plantain is done.
- Stir in the chopped spinach, adjust seasoning and serve with some rice.
you could use oil instead of palm oil, and other quick wilt greens instead of spinach. If you don't have a maggi cube then please substitute the water with vegetable or chicken stock. Keep an eye on the water when cooking the beans and add a half cup of water at a time if the water dries out.