- 23 Jun, 2020
- raw whole organic beetroot - 250g
- salt - 1 tsp
- caster sugar - 80g
- cider vinegar or coconut vinegar - 100ml
- cumin seeds - 4 tsp
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Place the cumin seeds into a frying pan or a wok and dry fry them for a few minutes to release the flavour. Leave aside to cool.
- Clean the beetroots, top and tail them and then pop them in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the pan to the boil with the salt and cook til the beets are tender.
- Once cooked, leave to cool slightly and then peel off the skins. They should come off easily without the need for a knife.
- Put the caster sugar, cider vinegar and cumin into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the liquid for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked beetroots and bring back to the boil and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before you spoon them and the liquid into a sterilised jar. They must be completely covered.
- Add the extra extra virgin oilve oil over the top of the pickling liquid to keep the oxygen out completely.
- Seal the jars and then leave to cool before putting them into the fridge.
- These do not need to sit for a while before you eat them but the pickling liquid does mellow as you leave it so leave it for a few days before eating.