Cow Pea Veggie Burger
- 23 Jun, 2020
For the hamburgers:
For the cow pea burger:
- organic cow peas - 250g
- organic baby red onion - 1
- organic big red onion - 2
- garlic - 3 cloves
- organic parsley leaves - big handful
- fresh organic coriander - small handful
- tahini (sesame paste) - 1 tbsp
- cumin powder - 1 tsp
- cilantro powder - 1/2 tsp
- olive oil - 4 tbsp
- salt and organic white pepper powder - to taste
For the sauce:
- plain un-sugared natural yogurt
- garlic - 1 clove
- organic lemon, juice - 1 lemon
- tahini - 1 tbsp
- salt and organic black pepper powder - to taste
For the cow pea burgers:
- Soak the cow peas for at least 10 hours in water. Next day, drain the beans and dry them well. You can remove the skin if you want but this is not necessary, this will make the burger smoother. (For this you just need to press the peas between the thumb and forefinger, the skin will remove itself. This step is really optional.)
- Collect your beans and mix them roughly. You have to get a dough that still has a few small pieces of peas (not a mashed potato either). If you really have trouble getting a paste, add a little water to get a good consistency.
- Finely chop your herbs (parsley and cilantro), the cloves of garlic and the two new onions. Add them to the cow peas paste and mix well. Add the olive oil, and the spices, a little salt and pepper and mix to have a smooth paste.
- Form balls and flatten them, or tamp a little in a circle, so that you have some kind of "chopped steaks", then let it rest for half an hour.
- Heat a good amount of oil in a pan. And as soon as it is hot, brown your falafel. Grill them well on both sides, when golden brown, take them out and place them on paper towels to remove excess fat. (You can also cook them in the fryer)
For the sauce:
- Use a garlic press to puree the garlic and mix with the tahini. Add lemon juice, yogurt salt and pepper.